The Portable Appliance Testing course will provide an explanation of the practical aspects of complying with legislation concerning the safe operation of electrical appliances. The candidate’s ability to perform the tests, record the results and interpret the data will be assessed.
Who would benefit?
The course is aimed at electrical or non-electrical personnel who have some responsibility for or who would like to get involved in the maintenance of electrical appliances.
The course consists of the following training and assessment modules:
- Induction. An introduction to the course.
- Electricity at Work Regulations The need for testing.
- Interpretation. What equipment is covered by the Regulations.
- Duties of Persons. Employers and Employees responsibilities.
- Risk Assessment. Assessing the likely risks.
- Classifying Appliances. Are they low, medium or high risk?
- Producing an Asset Register. Identifying the equipment.
- Establish safe test conditions. Controlling the test environment.
- Conducting the Tests. Operating the PAT Tester.
- Recording the Results. Completing the record sheets.
- Interpreting Data. Pass or fail?
- Assessment. Individual competence assessment of ability to carry out a PAT test.
The examination is a 1 hour, 30 question, computerised, open book, multiple-choice examination (GOLA).
Course Duration and Location
This 1 day course is available on-site, at training centres or other suitable venues. The maximum number of candidates per course is 8.
Successful candidates are awarded a City and Guilds 2377 certificate.
There are no formal entry requirements.
At time of booking
The following information MUST be provided at the time of booking:-
- Full Name, Gender and Date of Birth
- City & Guilds Candidate Number, if you have one (can be found at the bottom of past certificates and is in the form ABC 1234)
For the course
Candidates MUST have copies of the following publications for use during the course:-
- IEE Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment (ISBN 978-0-86341-833-4)
For the examination
Candidates must bring the following to the examination:-
- Clean copies of the above publication (i.e not annotated)
- Photo I.D. (e.g. Driving Licence, passport or similar)
For the practical assessment
Test Instruments and tools will be provided but Candidates may use their own suitable test instruments if preferred.
The latest course dates, prices and booking forms can be found on our website at www.sevenoaksenergy.com